Wednesday 15 April 2015

LIFE OF A COSTUME DESIGNER.

I thought I'd try something a bit different and write about some of my work at university. I study a degree in Performing Arts and next week marks the beginning of the end for me. We have a module called 'Directing and Devising', better known to us as D&D, a module wherein we have to devise/adapt a show, and direct it as a performance shown to the public. We set ourselves a theatrical challenge, which basically means that we write our assignment brief which allows us to as creative as possible. It's a stressful period, lots of drafts, designs and hours and hours of directing to create a show which gets us an amazing grade - or so we hope!?

I've taken on the role of costume designer for two shows, one is an adaptation of 'The Breakfast Club', and one is a piece of children's theatre based on the works of Dr. Seuss. There's a rather common misconception that costume designer's not only design but make the costumes - that's not always true. I prefer to design and source - almost like a stylist. Simon says I'm a professional shopper and I guess that's kind of true. I've spent the majority of the past seven months scouring online websites, eBay, Depop, clothing shops, charity shops and as many other places you can think of in order to find the perfect costumes to fit both of my theatrical challenges for two completely different shows.

It's not all shopping though, and it's most definitely not as easy as it seems. There's lots of research and measurements and comparing and contrasting to do, and that's probably the most difficult part. I have to relay all of my finds back to various directors and producers and writers to make sure that they are perfect for the characters that I'm dressing. Most recently, I've had to research into 1916 childrenswear in order to dress a bunch of children for a workshop, and to make matters even more difficult, the costumes I designed needed to be of minimal budget, and consist of clothes they would possibly already own. It really does require some serious brain power.

There is a week and a half until show week - I've a small amount to find, simple bits. I need to dye a dress, make a pregnancy bump, do hair and make-up on a cast of around ten as well as ensure everyone is dressed perfectly before they head on stage. I've got things to do like stitch on buttons, find all appropriate hair tools and shoes and socks. I'm sure everyone else feels under as much pressure as I do, but the whole aesthetic of the show depend on me, which is a scary thought.

I'm so completely thrilled to be part of two amazing shows - but more so because I'm loving this work at the moment. It's really exciting being a costume designer, not only because it's one of the most important things in a performance but because it's so creative and there really aren't any boundaries for me. I'm so excited to return to university on Monday to complete the costumes I've been working so hard on for such a long time now, and I'm stupidly happy it's nearly over. As much as I've enjoyed it all, it's been rather stressful.

Of course I'll post pictures of the costumes in action when they're done!


1 comment:

  1. That sounds so fun! The Breakfast Club would be such a great one to do, I love that whole late 80s/early 90s style! Good luck, you'll be fabulous! x

    http://whiteshirtchic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete